Background Information: The Enterprise e-Licensing System was designed to provide a unified presence for businesses and individuals to apply for and ultimately manage their business, professional, recreational, and occupational licenses. The new system aimed to modernize processes by reducing license management and enforcement cycle times and eliminating inefficiencies between legacy systems. Six large State agencies participated in this project. These agencies handle regulatory responsibilities for over 2.5 million active licenses in over 600 categories, as well as the inspection, investigation, and enforcement processes needed to protect the health and safety of the public.
The Obstacles: 2.5 Million Active licenses, many state agencies, complex business rules, and security was prime objective. Complexity includes 600 different service categories, inspection, investigation and enforcement, and 32 occupations. 600+ Reports and validations depended on combination of service category. The system implementations deadlines were based on contractual period. The reporting requirements were very complex and user interface was listed as a prime concern. ACA front end was not very user friendly and processing time took longer.
How GCOM Assisted: The scope of services provided by GCOM covered installation, configuration, customization and integration of hardware and software systems. GCOM’s knowledge and experience in systems integration spans all service areas are listed below:
- Architecting Accela Solutions: Enterprise wide deployment of Accela solution requires multitudes of components from third party products such as Payment Adapter, Document Management System, Address Validations, etc. along with Interfaces with other internal and external applications. These disparate toolsets/applications must work together in perfect harmony and requires in-depth understanding of not only Accela but overall enterprise/application architecture. GCOM has “Best in Class Architects” who work very closely with our developers. This team sets the vision, direction, and strategy for Accela solutions. The outcome of this work stream will be a conceptual design and to-be business flows that will provide a shared understanding of the Accela solution and serve as a basis for each of the detailed components developed in later work streams.
- Accela Installations Services: The main objective of these services is to set up the core infrastructure to support Accela system development and operation as part of the overall capacity and storage planning. This team also works with the agency CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) to ensure compliance with client’s security protocols.
- Accela Configuration(s): The main objective of this service is to set up the Accela Automation (AA) and Accela Citizen Access (ACA). AA will be the agencies' “back office” for licensing data and related content and processes; AA will serve as the backbone of other Accela software suite components, including Accela Mobile Office, Accela Mobile Inspector, Accela GIS, ACA, and Accela Analytics and Accela IVR. GCOM resources have extensive experience working on AA and ACA configurations.
- Accela Development: GCOM has implemented various complex scripts such as Deer Management Permit processing for state Agencies, the Auto Renewal Process, associating license professional records to public users, calling third party web services such as Tax clearance check, Driver's license validation using DMV Web service, etc. Team also developed more than 400+ complex reports and notification for different state agencies.
- Accela Training: GCOM has created extensive training materials to train our clients, including administrators and IT staff. This enables GCOM to perform smooth knowledge transition to the client staff for maintaining the system subsequent to deployment.
- Interfacing with Internal / External Systems: GCOM has design patterns to facilitate interfacing with other agency systems; e.g. interfacing payments with Finance Departments. For one implementation GCOM integrated with centralized geocoding and address validation systems hosted by a NYC Agency. GCOM integrated the mainframe system using ESB.
- Java / Oracle Policy Automation: As part of an important initiative GCOM was tasked with creating a brand new, intuitive user friendly interface to replace the ACA. GCOM's expert OPA developers and Java programmers converted complex business rules into OPA and created a fast, user friendly UI for both Agents and Citizen.
End Results: The proposed Layered Architectural Model not only satisfied the existing needs of the State Customer, but also met their future enterprise-level long-term requirements. Key features of the system included:
- Increased transparency, improved two-way communication between government agencies and the businesses and citizens they serve, and automated and streamlined key civic processes.
- Powerful web and mobile technologies that facilitated productivity for government workers and allowed citizens to engage with their agencies 24X7.
Accela Automation® offered a web-based application that utilizes an open architecture and a centralized database, allowing information to be shared across departments while improving communication between office and field workers, citizens, businesses and other key stakeholders.
- For a large environmental agency “secure printer solution” was implemented whereby each printing of a license panel and carcass tag could have a unique document number.
Customized ACA went live with total redesign of ACA for citizen and was well received by Agents and Citizens.
Click below to see details on our capabilities within this project scope: