NYC Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene(DOHMH): eVital
New York City, unlike any other US city, is an independent vital records jurisdiction. This means that it maintains its own vital event certificates and reports data directly to the National Center for Health Statistics and the Social Security Administration. The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) was seeking a partner to help them design, develop, and implement a solution to support their initiative - eVital, a digital reporting and document management service. The eVital system is critical for the reporting, registration, processing and analysis of all vital events (births, deaths, and spontaneous and induced terminations of pregnancy) in New York City. The system also issues certified copies of birth and death certificates as well as newborn registrations.
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene was seeking a next generation Electronic Vital Event Reporting, Issuance and Records Management System. The eVital system is critical to the operation and functioning of mandated Agency programs and processes. DOHMH aimed to align technology solutions with the DOHMH mission by prioritizing resource use and deploying innovations that facilitate the agency’s day-to-day activities and enhance staff productivity.
The eVital solution includes (but is not limited to) the following business processes:
- Vital Event Reporting and Registration for: Birth, Death, Induced Termination of Pregnancy (ITOP), Spontaneous Termination of Pregnancy (STOP), Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP).
- Vital Records Amendments/Corrections Management including Scan Application Package to create a case, electronic submissions from institutions, case workflow with rules, record updates.
- Customer Order Intake: Online ordering, walk-in Kiosk/Mobile ordering and Credit card/money order/eft payments.
- Reporting and vital statistics.
With this project, GCOM was tasked with designing, developing and implementing the new system while maintaining all of the current functionality and having little to no impact on functions or users of the existing system.
Our goal was to provide users with a reliable, stable, and safe computing environment. Another project goal was to provide and continue to enhance the technology infrastructure and computer applications that are in place to support the present and future business requirements of all organizations within the Agency. GCOM’s responsibilities in designing, developing and implementing the new eVital system included:
- Application design.
- Development - employing the approved environment, tools and standards.
- Project management in coordination with DOHMH project manager.
- Testing: Verified the accuracy, stability, and technical quality of the eVital application.
- Quality Assurance in parallel with Development in an iterative fashion, meaning issues issues were identified by the testing team, and corrected before moving to the next phase.
- Documenting and detailing system migration strategies, risks, and staffing needs/workload management.
- Planning for document conversion (outdated electronic to new system/media).
This infrastructure has enabled DOHMH to maximize and improve its ability to deliver timely, quality services to DOHMH/DIITT clients and to the public within New York City, as well as obtain administrative benefits.
In a press release issued by the city on October 22, 2018 Rabbi Jack Meyer, President of Misaskim said, “The new eVital system will take the Department of Health to new heights in servicing New Yorkers.”
GCOM isn’t your typical government solutions provider. GCOM combines the scale to support large complex projects with the agility and accessibility of a boutique solutions provider giving state and local government leaders a third option when looking for a partner to help modernize operations and optimize digital engagement. And we’ve earned a reputation for innovation and reliability by helping clients leverage cutting edge technology while mitigating risk. Whether it’s helping governments transition to virtual working, incorporating biometric ID to give physicians anywhere anytime access to vital records, providing local law enforcement with complete criminal histories ondemand, or data integration platforms that monitor community health, GCOM’s innovative, next generation government solutions improve operations and deliver more value to the communities they serve.