The New York City Department of Finance (DOF) is a Mayoral City Agency that collects over $30 billion annually in revenue for the City of New York (“City”). Among other functions, DOF administers the adjudication and payment collection processes for parking tickets issued in the City. Each year, the City issues between 8-10 million parking tickets, primarily by the New York City Police Department (“NYPD”) through patrol officers and Traffic Enforcement Agents that report to NYPD, as well as violations issued by the Department of Transportation (DOT). DOF collects between $550-$600 million in annual revenues from base fines and penalties on these violations. Approximately 1.5 - 2 million of these tickets are adjudicated by DOF’s Adjudication’s division each year online, via mail or in-person. Vehicle owners may also submit evidence through any of these channels.
DOF wanted to increase those capabilities to include an option for paying or adjudicating a ticket via mobile devices such as smartphones or tablets that will incorporate mobile-specific functionality- (such as using the device’s camera to capture ticket information and evidence used in hearings.
With GCOM’s Pay or Dispute Parking App, DOF provides a mobile channel that makes paying and requesting hearings for parking and selected traffic violations faster and easier for metro New Yorkers. And, with support for multiple languages, the process is more efficient for DOF workers.
With the app New Yorkers can:
- Pay tickets by credit card, through your bank account or Apple Pay.
- Dispute a ticket immediately using your device’s camera to upload evidence.
- Search ticket(s) using violation or license plate numbers.
- Save tickets you have previously searched for.
- Save license plate and billing information on your device.
- View payment history by ticket or license plate numbers.
- Receive receipts by email and/or text.
GCOM’s user-centric approach to solution development guided solution design and development.
Guiding principles included:
- Minimize data entry and the number of screens.
- Leverage mobile device features like cameras, barcode scanners and QR scanners to capture ticket information and includes cloud based optical character resolution service to populate ticket numbers captured by mobile device cameras.
- Store auto fill fields like address and credit card information (with CVV number and expiration date) securely on the device, not in the cloud.
- Provides pay now, pay later features for CPPR logged tickets and Windshield tickets.
- Makes it easy to search by ticket, license plate, or notice of liability number.
- Extra easy data capture and submission for hearing request evidence.
- Leverages multi-channel communication to update users of ticket status changes for hearing requests.
- Provide administrative and reconciliation tools and/or processes for City Workers.
The Parking Ticket Pay or Dispute mobile solution improved customer experience and provides a scalable, extensible and loosely coupled cloud integration gateway infrastructure that can support today’s ParkPayNYC as well as future NYC customer service mobile applications.
In 2017, this innovate project received the 2017 City to Government Experience Award from the Center for Digital Government.
In addition, the app has an average user review of 4.7 out of 5 stars in the Apple App Store.
GCOM isn’t your typical government solutions provider. GCOM combines the scale to support large complex projects with the agility and accessibility of a boutique solutions provider giving state and local government leaders a third option when looking for a partner to help modernize operations and optimize digital engagement. And we’ve earned a reputation for innovation and reliability by helping clients leverage cutting edge technology while mitigating risk. Whether it’s helping governments transition to virtual working, incorporating biometric ID to give physicians anywhere anytime access to vital records, providing local law enforcement with complete criminal histories ondemand, or data integration platforms that monitor community health, GCOM’s innovative, next generation government solutions improve operations and deliver more value to the communities they serve.